Founded in 1987, the Foundation for Media Alternatives (FMA) assists citizens and communities, especially civil society organizations (CSOs) and other disadvantaged sectors, in the strategic and appropriate use of information and communications technologies (ICTs) for democratization and popular empowerment.
- A vibrant and socially progressive Philippines and global community composed of and nurtured by the interaction of informed citizens, and
- Empowered communities promoting the realization of human/communication rights in information societies, towards equitable and sustainable human development.
FMA exists to assist CSOs and other development stakeholders (including government) in promoting and defending the right to information and communication, through the following:
- Advocating for openness in the governance of information societies,
- Working for human rights in digital environments,
- Ensuring strategic access and responsible use of ICTs,
- Optimizing such technologies for sustainable development, and
- Addressing gender concerns in the information society.